Our response to COVID-19
Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic in March, our priority has been maintaining the support we offer to the community of East Manchester in a safe manner. This has led to significant operational changes and we are currently meeting the needs of individuals and families in the following ways:
- Food Provision - The Oasis cafe is a lifeline to many people in the community who struggle. We would normally provide a breakfast and a warm meal four days a week but overnight we had to stop this. As a result, we scaled up our emergency food provision to provide food parcels for people who would normally use our cafe. In our food parcels, we aim to provide enough food to last a household a week.
- Crisis Support - When we had to close our doors to the general public, we were working with people who had significant, multi-layered issues and knew that this support couldn't stop without putting these individuals and families at risk. We continue to work through their issues through online and telephone support.
- Mental Wellbeing Activity Packs - We recognised that isolation and loneliness were going to be massive factors during the height of the pandemic. To help protect against the ill effects of boredom, we have been producing weekly activity packs to help people fight boredom and pick up some new hobbies whilst doing so. As well as continuing with English and Maths exercises that would have taken place in the centre we have provided people with the resources to grow their own veg, create origami houses and make gifts to give to people after this is over. We also regularly phone clients to ensure they are well and to help us pick up any additional needs they may have.
What We Have Seen
Since the start of lockdown to the end of July 2020, we have:
- Food Provision - We have given out 1514 food parcels
- Crisis Support - We have solved 230 crisis issues
- Mental Wellbeing Activity Packs - We have delivered 501 activity packs
How you can help
We wouldn't have been able to change our entire operation without the generous giving of many individuals and organisations. However, we still need extra support to be able to sustain the support we are giving. You can help in the following ways
- Financially giving - If you are able to financially support us then you can give through by clicking here
- Giving Food - We always need donations of food to give out to people in need in the community. You can donate non-perishable food at The Oasis Centre, Monday - Thursday between 9am and 2pm.